discuss: reviewing all the howtos

Subject: Re: reviewing all the howtos
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 27 Nov 2003 05:39:01 -0000

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 06:45:11PM -0700, doug jensen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:39:30PM +0000, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> > I don't really mind how you spell "useability"; but could you please
> > make that "it's" into an "its".
>
> Yes.  The little finger apparently engaged in some extracurricular
> activity when I wanted to type "its", fixed below (and also the address).
> But, "useability", could you enlighten me?
>
> =====
> The Linux Documentation Project is in the process of cleaning the
> repository.  You are listed as maintainer of Foo-HOWTO, that hasn't been
> updated recently.  Could you please review your HOWTO and post your
> opinion of its current usability to ####@####.####  If you cannot
> respond within ten days, your HOWTO might be removed from the
> distribution of current HOWTOs or removed from the archive completely.
> Thank you for your consideration, and please respond to
> ####@####.####

This is, I think, a little too blunt and 10 days isn't enough time.  The
tone seems too haughty and overbearing.  Suppose someone is on vacation,
etc.  What about "LDP is making efforts to keep the HOWTOs more
up-to-date".  Also, some may know all about their HOWTO and not need to
review it.  So we might ask if they could let us know the status of the
HOWTO and what they think should be done with it.  Also, we could ask
how useful they think it is it in its present condition.  We could say
that we would be delighted if they have time to update it and to please
respond promptly to this message so that we will know the status of the
document.  Then LDP needs to answer each reply.

I would not make any threat for pulling it nor set a time limit for
reply.  Then send a followup letter if no reply.