discuss: is revhistory _that_ needed?

Subject: Re: is revhistory _that_ needed?
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 27 Nov 2003 00:03:39 -0000

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 11:18:45PM -0800, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 22:19, Artemio wrote:
> > you wrote:
> > > But in my opinion, at least the latest revision should show, for readers
> > > who want to know how up to date the work is.
> > But why do I need it to show up as revision history, if I have the publishing
> > date and version specified?
>
> Think of it this way.  I went and read your HOWTO when you first had it
> published at LDP.  There was something missing, or a scenario that
> wasn't covered, for example.

For most people, if a HOWTO doesn't cover what they need to know, they
find the info elsewhere and don't go back looking in the HOWTO to see if
it's been included.  Or if they do look at it again, they are likely
trying to solve a different problem since they found out the info about
their original problem elsewhere.  They aren't really too concerned if
it's been included.  But some people would like to know about recent
changes, including those who may have made comments and wonder if the
comment was ever acted upon.  Even in this case, one may search the text
of the doc to see if it was included.

Another point is that a revision history may not tell one if something
has been included.  For example, in the history it may say: revised
section on ... " and it may not give you the details of what's changed
in the revision that wasn't formerly covered.  Sometimes, I wonder if
it's really important to say that some typos were fixed or that a broken
url was fixed.

Thus, I think it's usually a good idea to have a revision history but
not always required.  I think for a minor revision of fixing some typos
or broken urls, then that revision history isn't very important.  But for
a major change, it is important to document it.