discuss: Cheat sheet

Subject: Re: Cheat sheet
From: Randy Kramer ####@####.####
Date: 10 Apr 2001 19:22:32 -0000

Gary,

Thanks for writing!

I'll have to spend some time looking at your wiki.  I spent a fair
amount of time last year trying to pick the wiki I thought would best
serve my needs, and I ended up choosing TWiki.  Off the top of my head
(IIRC), the reasons I chose TWiki included:

-Stores a complete and permanent revision history -- someone (the
administrator) can always get back to a known good page in case of
"vandalism".  (I'm not sure how easy this is -- the changes are stored
in RCS -- I guess I'd have to check out the desired revision from RCS
and then replace the current text file with the checked out one.  There
is no "automatic" means of recovery (yet -- they have an active
developer community working on TWiki -- see twiki.sourceforge.net).

-A diff feature is included, so that you can easily spot the changes
made in any revision of a page.

-Anyone can sign up for email notification of changes (on a web basis
rather than an individual page basis -- I might have preferred on an
individual page basis)

Aside: TWiki is the only wiki that I can recall that used the concept of
webs (which are really subwebs) within a wikisite.  In other words, one
instance of the wiki software drives several webs.  (Unfortunately, I
don't like the standard selection of webs, which is something I want to
change before implementing my TWiki.)

-Security / authentication:  You can allow anyone to modify pages, or
restrict modification to authorized users.  On an intranet (for which
TWiki was designed) there are several methods of automatic
authentication.  On the Internet, the method of authentication is via
username / password (and no cookies).

Another thing I don't care for is the general appearance of the TWiki,
so I plan to change the templates (and probably now, at last, know
enough HTML to be able to do that).

Sorry you're so busy (but maybe that's good)!

If you find time to write back, let me know how your wiki stacks up in
those areas.

When I was trying to decide which wiki to use, I started "reviewing"
wikis on www.c2.com.  I never finished the effort, nor did I expect to,
but I do want to go back sometime after I get my TWikis up and do some
clean up.

See http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiEngineReview.

AFAIK, I did not review the wiki engine that you're using.

Randy Kramer

PS: SourceForge approved my project on January 3.  I could never login
using ssh.  They never responded to my service requests except with
general statements.  Finally, sometime in March they finally figured out
that my account was configured wrong and fixed it.  (Unfortunately,
since then I've been too busy to make use of it.)