discuss: common distros of the LDP authors

Subject: Re: common distros of the LDP authors
From: "David Horton" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Nov 2003 20:06:01 -0000

> It's a poorly worded subject, but, I'm looking for some of the
> distributions currently being used by LDP authors. Specifically I'd like
> to know:
> 	* what packages are available (or will be available)
> 	* if install instructions have already been written
>
> e.g. Debian users can follow:
> 	http://www.docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DebianGnuLinuxPackages
>
> What about: RedHat, Mandrake, SuSE, Windows?
>
> thanks,
> emma

I have used Windows and Redhat 9 with Java-based XML tools like Saxon,
Apache FOP and XMLMind's XXE and FO Converter.  I don't know of any
installation instructions other than what comes with the tools and with
Sun Java.  These tools are used with the TLDP-XSL stylesheets and there
is a short HOWTO on usage included in that package that gives examples
of processing with Saxon and Apache FOP.
(http://my.core.com/~dhorton/docbook/tldp-xsl/)

I also really admire the web-based tools that Saqib Ali has been working
on.  (http://validate.sf.net/ and
http://www.xml-dev.com:8080/cocoon/mount/tldp/{your url here})  These
tools have the advantage of platform independence and a low learning curve.

I'm assuming you are collecting this information is for your work with
the Author Guide.  If you wish to include some info on the Java-based
tools I would be happy to help out.

Dave