discuss: Some quick technical reviews of old HOWTO's

Subject: Some quick technical reviews of old HOWTO's
From: "David Horton" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Nov 2003 16:57:06 -0000

Hi,

A little while back I did a quick technical review of the 1996
Linux-Shadow-Password-HOWTO.  If technical reviews of old documents are
still needed I have a few more.

The following documents are out of date to the point of providing
misleading information:

Linux Kernel Modules Installation HOWTO
* Most modern distros use kernel modules by default.
* Using /sbin/kerneld is not required in modern kernels (2.2 and up I
think.)

WordPerfect Mini-howto
* The versions of WP are far out of date.
* Links for getting WP are not working.
* It seams Corel is no longer supporting Linux.  linux.corel.com returns
"invalid URL".  Searching Corel's site reveals no Linux info.

Glibc 2 HOWTO
* The version of glibc used in the HOWTO is 2.0.  GNU is up to 2.3
currently.
* Links to source and pre-compiled versions are broken.
* I do not believe that libcrypt is still subject to export restrictions
and distributed separately.  At least it has not been separate since
glibc-2.1 as far as I can tell.
* The Linux From Scratch guide has more up-to-date info on compiling glibc.

RPM+Slackware Mini-Howto
* Modern Slackware releases include the rpm tool.
* In section 2, the link to the software is broken.
* Also in section 2, the software version is far behind.

If I should be sending this information to a particular person or
coordinator rather than to the discuss list, please let me know.

Dave