discuss: new documentation license

Subject: Re: new documentation license
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 25 Nov 2003 08:54:14 -0000

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 09:02:49AM +0100, jdd wrote:
> David Lawyer wrote:
>
> >I said that I like a license that would prohibit "display" of advertising
> >with the doc.  The display can happen if advertising is added to the doc
> >by the organization displaying it.  Or it can be added by use of frames
> >in HTML.  Or an ad can appear when you click on viewing the next part of
> >the doc.  Or ...  I would prohibit all of them.  Copyright law gives the
> >copyright owner the right to control the the display of the work.
>
> Dear David,
> as I read your letter I see an advertisement right at the bottom of it.
> It's the Logo of a computer make "AS..."

I meant display presented by electronic or other technical means.  I
first just wrote "electronic means" but someone might come up with a
non-electronic display.  After all, the old teletype machines can be
used for browsing the Internet and they were electro-mechanical devices,
converting from serial to parallel by a mechanical distributor.  But this
is getting off-topic.  And I suppose the advertising restriction should
include any audio as well.

> of course _you_ can't see it, but _I_ do (it's sticked on my laptop
> screen)
>
> how can your, on the wordl, prohibit such thing and have your doc
> displayed anywhere?
>
> you can prohibit advertisement _inserted_ in the _source_ of the doc,
> what else?

If that's all one can do, it will be of almost no help in stopping the
use of ones freely donated work for advertising purposes.