discuss: more wiki 2 (was Re: the good the bad and the ugly)

Subject: Re: more wiki 2 (was Re: the good the bad and the ugly)
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 25 Nov 2003 00:01:40 -0000

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 08:57:48AM -0500, Randy Kramer wrote:

> Agreed.  I will work towards having a complete list of HOWTOs on WikiLearn,
> and identify authors / HOWTOs that will allow:

>    * (eventually) their HOWTO to be "published" on WikiLearn (and
>feedback via WikiLearn)

This may result in a fork in documentation.  There is one version (main
one) at the LDP mirrors and a different wiki version at WikiLearn.  Not
a good idea.  But if the authors agree to rapidly update their doc every
time someone makes some useful improvements via wiki, then there's no
significant fork.  Authors need to agree to this before putting their
docs on wiki.

Another way would be to index both the main doc and the wiki one on the
LDP site.  But this is also a fork and readers would be confused as to
which one they should select.

>    * feedback via WikiLearn (but do not want their HOWTO published on
>WikiLearn)

Well, feedback by direct email to the author should achieve the same
results more directly.  But the advantage of the wiki is that others can
see the comments and see if the author responded.  However, people that
use LDP docs want to get to the info they need and not spend time
looking at the comments.  So LDP staff might want to look at them but
there's a need to know just who wrote the comment.  This could also be
done, and likely better done, by Lampadas (plone).  Right now, there's
not enough volunteers to look at such comments so why not wait for
Lampadas?
			David Lawyer