discuss: more wiki (was Re: the good the bad and the ugly)

Subject: more wiki (was Re: the good the bad and the ugly)
From: Randy Kramer ####@####.####
Date: 24 Nov 2003 13:23:37 -0000

On Sunday 23 November 2003 08:30 pm, doug jensen wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 10:56:06AM -0800, David Lawyer wrote:
> > The review needs to be sent to the review team rather than discuss.
> > Perhaps just to one person who volunteers to handle these.
>
> Tille already pointed out that 'discuss' was wrong.  I still feel that
> the reviews should go to a list so that everyone will have a chance to
> see them (maybe 'feedback').

I agree that reviews (especially technical) should be made available to
"everyone" for various reasons, among them to provoke further discussion and
possible correction (someone may say, "this information is out of date",
someone else may come along and update all or part of the information.

A mailing list is one avenue to do this which I would not discourage, but I
also (still) advocate a wiki, as, among other reasons, IMHO, a wiki (page) is
more accessible -- if someone wants to quickly check the current feedback on
a particular howto (is it up-to-date, what parts are suspect, etc.), for
many, a web (wiki) page is easier to access than searching a maillist
archive.

BTW, I'm not happy yet with the way the wiki page for the Deciding Linux HOWTO
is set up yet, which is why I haven't set up any additional wiki pages.

Although I think Rahul would be willing to have his entire HOWTO available on
the wiki, since some authors would not want that but some of those authors
might be willing to have a wiki page for quick posting of (and access to)
feedback, I want to focus on making that type of page.  Among other things,
it needs to say that "this" page does not contain the actual HOWTO (with
link(s) to where it can be found) and a statement of the purpose of the page.

Perhaps I'll get a chance to work on that today or tomorrow (but help is
welcome: http://TWiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/DecidingLinuxHOWTO).

In addition, I have a few other things to resolve:
   * something went wrong with "the bread crumb trail" (when I tried to
reparent the page)
   * found a (fairly) new bug in wiki (well maybe not actually in wiki, but if
a revision is made and the temporary directory on "the server" (maybe not the
actual Apache server on Sourceforge, as there are several machines involved
in their clustered server setup), the RCS file may not be updated properly.
(This happened for a revision made to the page by Rahul -- when I made a
subsequent change, his change was preserved on the page, but both his changes
and mine were attributed to me in the RCS record.)

> Yeah, I also don't like putting
> punctuation inside the ending parenthesis, (some exceptions) so sue me :).

Me, too!  IIRC, that is the British way, so write with a British accent. ;-)

Randy Kramer