discuss: new documentation license

Subject: Re: new documentation license
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 24 Nov 2003 03:52:37 -0000

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 17:35, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> >can't the ldp propose one and only one licence?
> >
> >it should be easy to have to categories: ldp licence - free but non ldp
> >licence - if necessary.
> >
> >but one can't keep reading licences again and again..
>
> I suggest that the LDP, as being one project with one identity, should
> indeed promote one and only one license for those works it accepts into its
> collection. This would allow for uniform treatment, such as when printing
> the above-mentioned book.

I don't know what the exact wording should be, but along the lines of
what David Lawyer said, a proviso should be considered for being able to
deal with the document if LDP can't, through reasonable efforts, locate
the author.  I typically check Google, contact associates of authors and
any other email or web links I find in a document.

There are essentially a couple of options that could be taken - a
document whose author can't be found can be removed from the "active"
list of HOWTOs, moved to an unmaintained or otherwise aptly designated
area, AND/OR the LDP solicits help from volunteers to take over and
maintain the document, leaving in place the original information as
required, with new meta information to reflect the new maintainer.  Is
that terribly different from what we do now?  No, but having it included
in a customized license makes it more acceptable to move on to another
maintainer if necessary, rather than letting the documents continue to
sit and get staler.

Perhaps having such a solution written into the license would encourage
upkeep from authors who might have otherwise abandoned their work.

I agree that the LDP should have its own license, one that is as
protective as OPL but designed for our organization and authors, more
comprehensive than the current LDP license - but something that will be
acceptable, and meet everyone's needs.  I'd be curious to hear feedback
from makers of the distros on whether they'd consider such a proposed
proviso in the license to be free or non-free.  We obviously wouldn't
want to alienate anyone out of carrying the collection.

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com