discuss: TLDP DocBook pages need work - Start there!

Subject: Re: TLDP DocBook pages need work - Start there!
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 23 Nov 2003 04:39:14 -0000

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 09:51:18PM -0500, John R. Daily wrote:
> While I agree that there is always much more that can be done to
> reduce the DocBook learning curve, it is impossible for learning
> and setting up such a complex system to not be a major project.
>
> DocBook simply is an enormous beast.
>
> Thinking about it some more, there is at least one way in which
> the LDP could reduce some of the obstacles: decide on a specific
> toolchain to document and support.  Currently, there are two
> major paths to validate and transform documents: legacy SGML
> tools like nsgmls and jade, and XML tools like xmllint and
> xsltproc.

My proposal is to suggest that new authors use LinuxDoc.  It's much
simpler in all aspects.  For me, it's easier than just using plain text
since it creates a table of contents automatically.  A new author should
spend 99% of his/her time on the subject matter and only 1% on learning
formatting, dealing with formatting software, and learning tags.  That's
the way it is with LinuxDoc.  See my mini-HOWTO: Howtos-with-Linuxdoc.