discuss: the good the bad and the ugly

Subject: Re: the good the bad and the ugly
From: David Horton ####@####.####
Date: 21 Nov 2003 04:27:38 -0000

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 10:07 11/20/2003, David Horton wrote:
>
>> > Therefore I make a proposal as a first step forward: can we leave the
>> > HOWTO's as they are, but add a wiki page for each HOWTO where
>> > people can discuss it, comment it, and rate/feedback it? (Yes, I know
>> > feedback is not a verb. <smile>)
>>
>> Please add me to the list of people who would object to this proposal.
>> It is not because I think a wiki is a bad idea, I just think that it is
>> bad to force it upon all authors in one sweeping move.
>

> Don't worry, nobody is forcing anything on authors. For brevity's sake,
> let me oversimplify: right now we have *one* page on the website with
> the HOWTO in HTML. By implementing this proposal, we'd have *two* pages
> for each HOWTO: one with the content, and a discussion page with the
> wiki. If the author wants to read it, participate in it, and whatever
> else, great! If not, then he/she does not have to: no forcing involved,
> and certainly no sweeping.
>
>> As an author I have already taken steps to solicit feedback from readers
>> and act upon it.  I have done this by setting up a mailing list and web
>> site dedicated to supporting readers of my guide.  I have found this
>> feedback and support mechanism to be highly effective and would be
>> disinclined to change it.
>

> You don't have to, I think. However, the LDP organization may like to
> have such a page, even if the first thing that this page mentions is
> "please contact the author on this mailing-list and website". I say may,
> not will... I don't know what they want or like. But in any event having
> a wiki on the LDP site won't *hurt* you, IMHO. Thoughts welcome.

Here is an analogy to describe why I think the proposal to do this to
each and every howto is harmful...

Public Announcement: The city council has just passed a law requiring
all restaurants to have suggestion boxes.  The public works department
will be around shortly to nail a suggestion box to the front door of
your establishment.

Now there are two basic types of restaurant owners in the city.  Some
owners have a good relationship with their patrons and others do not.

The helpful, friendly owners come to the table to ask if diners are
enjoying their meal and if there is anything that might make the
experience more enjoyable.  Customers wonder why there is a suggestion
box when the owner is so attentive.

Restaurant owners who have a poor relationship with their customers
simply ignore the suggestion box and throw all the little slips of paper
into the trash.  Customers are left wondering why there is a suggestion
box when no one ever acts upon the suggestions.

Here is how I think the situation could be improved...

Public Announcement: The city council has just purchased several
suggestion boxes in an effort to help restaurant owners.  If you wish,
you may stop by the public works department to request your free
suggestion box.  Just write down the name of your establishment and we
will install it for you.

In other words...

TLDP has a wiki system that you *may* want to use for your howto.  If
you would like to set this up please email ####@####.####  If you
already have another way of soliciting feedback from readers, that's
fine, we won't confuse people by nailing a wiki to your howto.

Dave