discuss: bugzilla and more categories

Subject: bugzilla and more categories
From: rahul ####@####.####
Date: 20 Nov 2003 22:12:32 -0000

hi

> Yes, we need it but what would you propose?  I think that any system of
> feedback should be done by allowing a reader to just click on an email
> address in an html doc.   Ideally, email comments would go to both the
> author and LDP.  It would be something like a bug tracking system.  Then
> the response from the author is also CCed to LDP.  If the comments are
> valid suggestions for improvement, then a check needs to be made to see
> if the doc is updated as a result.  Who at the LDP is going to handle
> all this?  There may be cases where the author doesn't respond or
> responds with a note that they hope to check it out later on, etc.
>
> So it can't really be automated.  An automated system can report whether
> or not an author responds.  But it can't report whether or not the
> response is a "good" one.  Readers could complain about responses, but
> will they complain if the author says they don't have time to fix it, or
> the fix has not fully satisfied the reader.  Who at LDP will handle all
> cases where there are complaints?  I might add that bug reports to
> Debian have sometimes taken years to get a response

A bugzilla might help here. I have request Randy to set up wiki. (Randi - I am
just a volunteer. Not any kind of authority. Off list mails to you bounces
back). A combination of these two for those who want it should work better
for now till a new system by David Miller based on plone aka lampadas or
Tabatha's developer comes up something LDP can use.

Looks like we need more categories than what is currently at LDP

Mainline Docs
To be reviewed List - Assigned to a particular review who is about to review -
bugzilla helps here
Under Review List - should mention whether technical or content or both.
Should also be marked as new or yearly review or what
In Progress List
Old but useful List
Just Updated List
Unmaintained List

(I know there some lists exist already)

Bugzilla would also give you the stastics about which documents have more bugs
filed against them. I will take care of the bugzilla reports for atleast
sometime if thats what you are worried about. After each bug report which
could have a CC to me, some other LDP staff and the author I can make sure
the doc is updated accordingly by the Author. Author should be able to close
the bug himself.

I am not sure what kind of setup other document projects like KDE, Gnome or
FreeBSD uses. we might be able to take out their good ideas and implement itp
in LDP.

regards
Rahul Sundaram