discuss: the good the bad and the ugly

Subject: Re: the good the bad and the ugly
From: rahul ####@####.####
Date: 20 Nov 2003 18:50:51 -0000

On Thursday 20 November 2003 12:31, David Lawyer wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:40:22AM +0530, rahul wrote:
> > On Wednesday 19 November 2003 08:42, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> > Any outdated docs should be marked as such. any docs having potentially
> > wrong information should be pulled out immediately.
>
> You don't really mean this I hope.  It all depends on more than just
> errors.  For example, errors in explaining theory may have little
> adverse effect in practical results.  But even if there is no wrong
> information but it's very poorly written and the same material is covered
> better elsewhere, then I think it should be pulled (sort of).  Before
> doing this, the author needs to be given a chance to fix things.

if its drastically wrong it should pulled out. the author should definitely be
contacted and informed that he should update his document and he should
participate in the list for discussions.

> >  Go through every single doc that you can in the ldp and present
> >  comments. lets discuss this and make a improvement. In about 2 to 3
> >  months(what i have in mind) we should see marked improvements.
>
> You've got to be dreaming.  We would need many more volunteers to keep
> this schedule.

yes. i see a good amount of people willing to do stuff. it is a hard time line
but its achievable.

> > After clearing all these docs we will have to work on screenings
> > incoming stuff. every doc should go an technical as well as language
> > review. we have reviewers who will take care of the language.
>
> The new stuff is perhaps more important than the old.  If the original
> submission is good, updates are likely to be almost as good.  Thus I
> think that technical review of new docs is even more important than
> technical review of old docs.

yes. I agree that the new docs are much more easier to work with. The author
would be eager in improving his own docs and the feedback would help do it.

> When an author of a good original doc submits an update, one might hope
> that it would of even better quality than the original but
> unfortunately, it's apt to be worse.  One reason for declining quality
> of updates is that there's a strong temptation to try to simply
> incorporate new developments within the existing organization and
> framework of a HOWTO, while what's needed is complete reorganization in
> light of new developments.

A yearly review as suggested by tabatha so should help improve the situation.
Reworking is even harder that writing it from scratch.

> > Technical reviewing is much more harder because it is likely to
> > diversified.  So we will have to rely on public feedback. We need to
> > work on getting more feedback.
>
> The way it should work now is that one just clicks on the author's email
> in the header of the doc.  But some authors don't have their email
> there.  Many have their email written so that robots can't get it but
> then one has to type it manually to send any email and this may be too
> much bother for some.  Some authors may not disclose their emails.
>
> > This is what a content management system or wiki would give us.
>
> A wiki imposes a lot of work for the author.  The author must look at
> what someone has changed in a wiki, compare it to the original, and
> perhaps wonder why the reader did what s/he did.  An email to the author
> should be better.

I suggested wiki and I will stick with it until a better *working* alternative
is proposed. Randy has told us that its only a few hours of work. If doesnt
live up to the expectation of the author he can always ignore it and continue
recieving feedback thru email or whatever. I havent seen arguments as to why
it shouldnt even be setup as an alternative.

maybe we can combine this with bugzilla. lets see

regards
Rahul sundaram