discuss: the good the bad and the ugly

Subject: Re: the good the bad and the ugly
From: "David Horton" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Nov 2003 16:07:29 -0000

"Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.#### wrote:

> At 07:00 11/20/2003, Randy Kramer wrote:
> > >
> > > A wiki imposes a lot of work for the author.  [...]
> >
> >A wiki can be used in many ways [...]
>
> Since I keep hearing there are 450 authors in the LDP collection, I
figure
> there must be quite a few who don't understand exactly what a wiki is,
how
> to use it, etc. as I do still. Of course they and I will figure it out...
> it's just not a known quantity _now_. So allow me to weigh in with an
> opinion from the unwashed masses here. :-)
>
> Action, as jdd mentioned, is a valuable thing when directed properly, but
> too much change too quickly can be difficult to implement or manage.
> Therefore I make a proposal as a first step forward: can we leave the
> HOWTO's as they are, but add a wiki page for each HOWTO where people can
> discuss it, comment it, and rate/feedback it? (Yes, I know feedback is
not
> a verb. <smile>)
>
> This could (as Randy mentioned) be implemented in hours, involves no
> changes to the currently functioning system, and seems to me to be a step
> forward. If it works well, we can reevaluate it next week or whenever we
> please. Every HOWTO could be modified rather quickly (a minute or so per
> HOWTO) so that it clearly pointed to its wiki discussion page near the
top
> (and perhaps also bottom) of the document.
>
> Is there anyone who would _object_ to such a proposal? If not, why not
try
> it? We can always remove it later if we don't like it...
>

> --
> Rodolfo J. Paiz

Please add me to the list of people who would object to this proposal.
It is not because I think a wiki is a bad idea, I just think that it is
bad to force it upon all authors in one sweeping move.

As an author I have already taken steps to solicit feedback from readers
and act upon it.  I have done this by setting up a mailing list and web
site dedicated to supporting readers of my guide.  I have found this
feedback and support mechanism to be highly effective and would be
disinclined to change it.

Dave