discuss: the good the bad and the ugly

Subject: Re: the good the bad and the ugly
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Nov 2003 13:45:28 -0000

At 07:00 11/20/2003, Randy Kramer wrote:
>On Thursday 20 November 2003 02:01 am, David Lawyer wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:40:22AM +0530, rahul wrote:
> > > This is what a content management system or wiki would give us.
> >
> > A wiki imposes a lot of work for the author.  [...]
>
>A wiki can be used in many ways [...]

Since I keep hearing there are 450 authors in the LDP collection, I figure
there must be quite a few who don't understand exactly what a wiki is, how
to use it, etc. as I do still. Of course they and I will figure it out...
it's just not a known quantity _now_. So allow me to weigh in with an
opinion from the unwashed masses here. :-)

Action, as jdd mentioned, is a valuable thing when directed properly, but
too much change too quickly can be difficult to implement or manage.
Therefore I make a proposal as a first step forward: can we leave the
HOWTO's as they are, but add a wiki page for each HOWTO where people can
discuss it, comment it, and rate/feedback it? (Yes, I know feedback is not
a verb. <smile>)

This could (as Randy mentioned) be implemented in hours, involves no
changes to the currently functioning system, and seems to me to be a step
forward. If it works well, we can reevaluate it next week or whenever we
please. Every HOWTO could be modified rather quickly (a minute or so per
HOWTO) so that it clearly pointed to its wiki discussion page near the top
(and perhaps also bottom) of the document.

Is there anyone who would _object_ to such a proposal? If not, why not try
it? We can always remove it later if we don't like it...

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz