discuss: replacing the howto and reviewing

Subject: Re: replacing the howto and reviewing
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 19 Nov 2003 23:22:46 -0000

First a general comment on documentation and TLDP: yes, much is
available with the software packages (ref. PHP below) but then
again you first need to install said package to get the
documents. TLDP can help here in supplying general documents
that give overview and pointers. Good overviews are becoming
more imortant as software names become less descriptive (ref.
recent satirical article in Doctor Dobbs Journal).

rahul wrote:

> Hi
>
> Since the howtos have been removed off the collection we should work towards
> replacing them. Of all the howtos in the collection  I believe the kernel
> howto is something that should be worked on as soon as possible. Since the
> new kernel 2.6 is about to be released information on using it would also be
> necessary.

Kernel documentation was discussed here a number of years ago. My
opinion is that the documentation supplied with the kernel tarball
is somewhat sparse and used to be in need of updates (I have not
checked 2.5.x yet) and that it would be in scope of TLDP to supply
extra documentation, possibly in the form of a HOWTO.

> Is anybody up for the task?
>
> status of the other howtos
>
> php howto - I believe the php howto was not necessary and the best document
> you can get on php is the php.net manual. Moreover PHP 5 which presently is
> on beta doesnt have any docs.. If someone wants to write docs on php write it
> for the latest version and submit it to php.net

ref initial comment. Again I think an overview document is what
is most needed, perhaps for the main web infrastructure tools
commonly used with linux systems.

> c++ programming howto - a huge amount of docs are available on c++. this
> shouldnt be part of ldp.

True, but also true that this is not usually supplied with an
installation; going out on the net to gather it all is not an
option for many of our readers. And again an overview HOWTO
on software development is what I believe is the solution.

> postgres howto - ??

As above.

> c, c++ beautifier ->??

Could be part of a software development HOWTO.

> cpu design howto - not of general interest to linux users.

Agreed. As mentioned earlier I believe an overview on
electronics design with Linux is an useful addition.

> cvs-rcs howto - many linux developers and users would use cvs. if there are
> good reference material it should be added to resouces section of ldp.

Could be part of a software development HOWTO.

> diskless howto -??
>
> kernel howto - obscure material. should be cleared up and info on 2.6 added

Agreed.

> lilo crash rescue howto - good info should be merged with lilo howto and
> dropped
>
> modem dialup nt howto - ??
>
> rpm for unix howto - does anyone use rpm outside of linux?. I have not heard
> of such usages.

I believe I have read somewhere it was at least proposed for use
outside Linux.

> vim howto - do we have good material of vim elsewhere?. vim is very important
> to linux sys admins and its important that ldp have some information on it.

I would again prefer an overview, here of commonly used editors.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen