discuss: Firewall-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Firewall-HOWTO
From: Terrence Enger ####@####.####
Date: 19 Nov 2003 16:01:50 -0000

At 18:33 2003-11-18 -0800, David Lawyer wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 10:04:20PM -0800, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 09:42, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > > Hmm... I see your point perfectly. In general, I try to explain what
I am
> > > doing as I go along such that the user also learns in the process;
however,
> > > I tend to start from the point of view that this document is about
"how to"
> > > do something, and that both (a) the background knowledge which is
> > > prerequisite to this howto and (b) the further learning that can be
> > > undertaken after this howto is completed, are of secondary importance.
> >
> > There is nothing wrong with taking such an approach.  Many HOWTOs are
> > written to complete specific tasks.
> >
> > > Is it, then, the traditional view that a HOWTO must also provide some
> > > measure of background such that the reader can start from little or no
> > > knowledge, acquire the basics, then execute the task desired? If so,
how
> > > far back should I start? For example, I would like to assume that the
> > > reader has the following skills:
> > >
> > >          * some knowledge of RPM package commands
> > >
> > >          * ability to install and configure a machine with Linux,
> > >          including setting up his/her own networking devices
> > >
> > >          * ability to connect his/her system to the Internet
> > >          using whatever device/medium the ISP provides
> > >
> > > If I have to explain some or all of that, I'll never get done writing
my
> > > own stuff...
>
> I'm not sure that a prerequisite section is needed.  Readers will find
> out for themselves if they need to learn more from other sources.  It's
> easy to use a search engine, etc., to find out such information.  The
> only case where I think that prerequisites need to be mentioned is when
> they are rather advanced.  The 3 items shown above should be known (or
> readily learned) by most users of the proposed  HOWTO.  It can be a
> burden to the reader to find a long list of detailed prerequisites
> and some readers are able to cope without the prerequisites.

I think that it is useful to list prerequisite knowledge
explicitly.

(*) It gives the reader an opportunity to collect
    prerequisite readings before sitting down with the
    original HOWTO.  This could reduce the number of times
    the reader needs to be online: not all of us always have
    convenient access to the 'net.  And, some of us just
    like to work that way.

(*) Before doing any heavy reading, the reader can have a
    better idea of the amount of work in front of her.  She
    can choose when to do the reading or even whether to do
    it at all.  <aside>We, in general, still sometimes
    behave as though information is a scarce commodity.  It
    is time to recognize that the really scarce commodity is
    attention.</aside>

I can see some value in segregating prerequisites from
"further reading".  The former serves the reader with a task
to accomplish, the latter is a headstart for the reader who
thinks "This is really neat.  I want to learn more."

Just my C$0.02.

Terry.
Available for contract programming.