discuss: Firewall-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Firewall-HOWTO
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 19 Nov 2003 06:45:55 -0000

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 10:04:20PM -0800, Tabatha Marshall wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 09:42, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > Hmm... I see your point perfectly. In general, I try to explain what I am
> > doing as I go along such that the user also learns in the process; however,
> > I tend to start from the point of view that this document is about "how to"
> > do something, and that both (a) the background knowledge which is
> > prerequisite to this howto and (b) the further learning that can be
> > undertaken after this howto is completed, are of secondary importance.
>
> There is nothing wrong with taking such an approach.  Many HOWTOs are
> written to complete specific tasks.
>
> > Is it, then, the traditional view that a HOWTO must also provide some
> > measure of background such that the reader can start from little or no
> > knowledge, acquire the basics, then execute the task desired? If so, how
> > far back should I start? For example, I would like to assume that the
> > reader has the following skills:
> >
> >          * some knowledge of RPM package commands
> >
> >          * ability to install and configure a machine with Linux,
> >          including setting up his/her own networking devices
> >
> >          * ability to connect his/her system to the Internet
> >          using whatever device/medium the ISP provides
> >
> > If I have to explain some or all of that, I'll never get done writing my
> > own stuff...

I'm not sure that a prerequisite section is needed.  Readers will find
out for themselves if they need to learn more from other sources.  It's
easy to use a search engine, etc., to find out such information.  The
only case where I think that prerequisites need to be mentioned is when
they are rather advanced.  The 3 items shown above should be known (or
readily learned) by most users of the proposed  HOWTO.  It can be a
burden to the reader to find a long list of detailed prerequisites
and some readers are able to cope without the prerequisites.