discuss: the good the bad and the ugly

Subject: Re: the good the bad and the ugly
From: Shuvam Misra ####@####.####
Date: 19 Nov 2003 05:31:21 -0000

Dear Tabatha,

> > What are the criteria for "good docs"?  Is it anything not outdated or
> > is content being judged as well?
>
> I suppose any answer would be somewhat subjective, but here goes... :D
>
> I would say anything that has been technically reviewed for accuracy,
> reviewed for language (spelling, grammar, clarity), contains links for
> readers to get more information, shows alternative methods to accomplish
> the task, if available (depending on the scope), and clearly meets the
> defined scope, would be indicative of a "good" doc.
>
> In other words, if you tell us we can do something by the end of the
> HOWTO, we better be able to do it!  :D

Your criteria make perfect sense.

I am the author of the Usenet News HOWTO. We (in Starcom) have put in
non-trivial effort to write it. We know that there's one key section
(about INN) which is incomplete, but otherwise, the rest of the document
is in reasonable shape (we feel!).

I would be very keen to know your and others' views about whether our
HOWTO qualifies for a "good" HOWTO? We most certainly want to put in as
much effort as is needed to make it so. :)

Thanks and regards,
Shuvam