discuss: Firewall-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Firewall-HOWTO
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Nov 2003 17:43:15 -0000

At 12:21 11/16/2003, David Lawyer wrote:
>I think that it needs to be more than a step-by-step HOWTO since to
>understand and solve problems, the user needs at least some
>understanding of how it works.

Hmm... I see your point perfectly. In general, I try to explain what I am
doing as I go along such that the user also learns in the process; however,
I tend to start from the point of view that this document is about "how to"
do something, and that both (a) the background knowledge which is
prerequisite to this howto and (b) the further learning that can be
undertaken after this howto is completed, are of secondary importance.

Is it, then, the traditional view that a HOWTO must also provide some
measure of background such that the reader can start from little or no
knowledge, acquire the basics, then execute the task desired? If so, how
far back should I start? For example, I would like to assume that the
reader has the following skills:

         * some knowledge of RPM package commands

         * ability to install and configure a machine with Linux,
         including setting up his/her own networking devices

         * ability to connect his/her system to the Internet
         using whatever device/medium the ISP provides

If I have to explain some or all of that, I'll never get done writing my
own stuff...

>It's possible to have a "quick install"
>section in a HOWTO for people who want to get it done fast without much
>understanding of it.  It's nice for one HOWTO to cover both the basics
>and more advanced stuff, since if a reader is not on-line, they can
>easily find the more advanced material (since it's in the same HOWTO).
>By "more advanced" I mean intermediate level material.  Really advanced
>material and detailed specifications is not too important to have in a
>HOWTO provided it's available elsewhere on the Internet (and linked to
>by the HOWTO).

At what point is it valid to submit a HOWTO? I will happily keep adding
material to my documents until they can jump this (rather high) bar, but it
is certainly going to take a while. I estimate that my first complete draft
of the Small Netserver HOWTO will be ready in about two weeks, but it won't
have all of this... not by a long shot. It will, however, contain
instructions along with a reasonable amount of commentary such that the
reader will be told what is going on at each step and will understand it.
Some previous knowledge is required, though.

I'd appreciate some guidance on this.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz