discuss: DocBook 4.x XML packages for RedHat?

Subject: Re: DocBook 4.x XML packages for RedHat?
From: Mark Komarinski ####@####.####
Date: 30 Mar 2001 16:44:09 -0000

Dan York wrote:

> Mark,
>
> > Given that my old RH 7.0 server wound up under 2" of water after the
> > rain last week,
>
> Ouch!  Sorry to hear that!
>
> > I bought a new box and slapped debian/unstable on it.
> > I've got it working now, so I just need someone to verify my security thoughts
> > and I'll have a web-based DocBook (XML or SGML) validator and db2pdf working.
>
> For those of us who are not Debian users, could you elaborate on just
> which tools you are using?  Which web-based validator are you using?

The reason I went for Debian is that the DTDs for XML and SGML are already
packaged.  apt-get update will keep them all fresh instead of me looking
for packages.

I've got two VERY simple PHP scripts.  Each take a look at the filename extension
to determine if it's an XML or SGML file.  validate.php sends the file
to nsgmls, db2pdf sends it to jade, then ldp_print, creating an LDP-looking
PDF document, which you can download immediately.

I haven't looked at the security of this, as I'm not sure if system calls
can be placed in SGML code and let someone run arbitrary code.  If you'd
like the code, I can send it to you for review.

Longer term, I'd like to support multiple files and images, but I have to
figure out how I want to do that.

-Mark

--
Mark Komarinski - Senior Systems Engineer - VA Linux Systems
(cell)  978-697-2228