discuss: Title suggestions needed

Subject: Re: Title suggestions needed
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Nov 2003 23:42:40 -0000

####@####.#### and see if he would let you contribute your work
>directly to this document.

Not yet... see below.

>I see your proposed work as complementary to this document.

Precisely. I intend to write my HOWTO as a more specific step-by-step
solution a user can follow from beginning to end with a given set of tools,
and at the end of each section provide links to more general documentation,
books, etc. such as Mark Grennan's document and Rusty Russell's book on
iptables as well as to other tools such as fwbuilder, IPCop, etc. At this
point I do _not_ intend to write a general treatise on the subject of
firewalls, packet filtering, or proxies; hence Mark's work can stand alone
and I can complement it.

>I'd be happy to collaborate on this project, since I also have
>firewall experience.

Noted and accepted, with thanks; I'll let you know when I have the first
draft ready for a quick look.

>Even so, your topic is large enough that it could warrant its own
>HOWTO.  I don't want to railroad you into scope creep.

It could become something useful enough that it eventually makes it into
LDP; I'd be gratified to have it selected for inclusion, and I don't mind
working on it until it gets to that point (then maintaining the document,
of course). But right now, I want to write about what I _know_; if I stop
to learn more stuff just to include it, the darn thing will never get written.

>I like "Home Firewall HOWTO" best.  As long as the abstract is as
>good as your paragraph above, I think that you're work will be
>easily located.

 From the suggestions given, so far I like "Home Firewall and Netserver
HOWTO" the best, as it makes clear the dual role of the system without
becoming too long. It also transparently indicates the filename as
Home-Firewall-Netserver-HOWTO without any real changes.

>Let me also declare that I'd be quite happy to offer you my services
>as a technical reviewer during your writing process.

As above, noted and accepted with thanks.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz