discuss: Title suggestions needed

Subject: Re: Title suggestions needed
From: "Martin A. Brown" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Nov 2003 21:53:43 -0000

Rodolfo,

 : I am about to begin writing a simple HOWTO document detailing how
 : to set up a home or SOHO firewall/gateway/netserver. This machine
 : (based on a Red Hat, Fedora, or other RPM-based distribution for
 : starters since that's all I know) will act as the network's
 : gateway, masquerading all computers behind it so they can have
 : Internet access, and will provide firewall services using
 : Shorewall (http://www.shorewall.net).

I think this would be a natural match for the Firewall and Proxy
Server HOWTO [0], which doesn't appear to have been maintained since
the year 2000.  Perhaps you could contact Mark Grennan,
####@####.#### and see if he would let you contribute your work
directly to this document.

I see your proposed work as complementary to this document.  (After
it gets a bit of attention: it doesn't mention iptables at all!)
I'd be happy to collaborate on this project, since I also have
firewall experience.

Even so, your topic is large enough that it could warrant its own
HOWTO.  I don't want to railroad you into scope creep.

 : However, it will also provide DNS, DHCP, and NTP services to this
 : small network since these are the three services most basic to
 : getting a small network up and running.
 :
 : I am lacking a title for said HOWTO... "Home Firewall HOWTO",
 : "Simple Firewall HOWTO", and "Small Network Server HOWTO" have
 : all crossed my mind, but somehow I don't get the sense that they
 : communicate the essence of the document properly. Anyone care to
 : offer other suggestions for the name?

I like "Home Firewall HOWTO" best.  As long as the abstract is as
good as your paragraph above, I think that you're work will be
easily located.

Let me also declare that I'd be quite happy to offer you my services
as a technical reviewer during your writing process.

-Martin

 [0]  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO.html