discuss: replacing the howto and reviewing

Subject: Re: replacing the howto and reviewing
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 14 Nov 2003 20:05:05 -0000

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 23:34, David Lawyer wrote:
>   This document is a guide to quickly setting up the Vim color editor on
> Linux or Unix systems. The information here will improve the productivity of
> programmers because the Vim editor supports syntax color highlighting and
> bold fonts, improving the "readability" of program code. A programmer's
> productivity improves 2 to 3 times with a color editor like Vim. The
> information in this document applies to all operating sytems where Vim works,
> such as Linux, Windows 95/NT, Apple Mac, IBM OSes, VMS, BeOS and all flavors
> of Unix like Solaris, HPUX, AIX, SCO, Sinix, BSD, Ultrix etc.. (it means
> almost all operating systems on this planet!)
> Note the gross exaggeration that color highlighting will improve
> productivity by 2 or 3 times.  Some colors have poor contrast and are
> not as easy to read as say plain black on white.  Productivity, in my
> opinion, might improve by say only about 1%, not 100% - 200% as claimed
> by Al Dev.

I agree.

My recommendation in a situation such as that would be to suggest
removal.  It's one of those subjective/opinionated statements, that's
just as easily left unsaid.  If an author had insisted on keeping
something like that, I would have suggested removing the "by how much"
portion of the sentence in question, and only state that color editing
can, for some people, increase productivity.

This also goes for stating things are "obvious" or leading with, "This,
of course..."  For lots of folks who don't find things obvious, this can
be frustrating, and is best left out.

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall