discuss: replacing the howto and reviewing

Subject: Re: replacing the howto and reviewing
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 14 Nov 2003 08:18:44 -0000

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 04:43:12AM +0530, rahul wrote:
> > vim howto - do we have good material of vim elsewhere?. vim is very
> > important to linux sys admins and its important that ldp have some
> > information on it.

Here's the abstract by Al Dev.  No need to read further than the
abstract to realize that we were likely justified in pulling this
HOWTO.
  This document is a guide to quickly setting up the Vim color editor on
Linux or Unix systems. The information here will improve the productivity of
programmers because the Vim editor supports syntax color highlighting and
bold fonts, improving the "readability" of program code. A programmer's
productivity improves 2 to 3 times with a color editor like Vim. The
information in this document applies to all operating sytems where Vim works,
such as Linux, Windows 95/NT, Apple Mac, IBM OSes, VMS, BeOS and all flavors
of Unix like Solaris, HPUX, AIX, SCO, Sinix, BSD, Ultrix etc.. (it means
almost all operating systems on this planet!)
Note the gross exaggeration that color highlighting will improve
productivity by 2 or 3 times.  Some colors have poor contrast and are
not as easy to read as say plain black on white.  Productivity, in my
opinion, might improve by say only about 1%, not 100% - 200% as claimed
by Al Dev.  Note the typo "sytems".  Didn't he run it thru a
spellchecker?

[snip] On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 01:39:48AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> I suspect that the Vim-HOWTO originally dates from before the user
> manual was added to the vim help files. At the time when they were
> essentially just a reference manual, a separate LDP document made
> sense.  Nowadays it feels somewhat redundant.

Per the abstract, you were mistaken about this, as the HOWTO is only
about color highlighting in Vim.