discuss: My Outdated Euro mini-HOWTO [was: Re: php howto]

Subject: Re: My Outdated Euro mini-HOWTO [was: Re: php howto]
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 13 Nov 2003 22:09:33 -0000

Ari Makela wrote:
[snip]

> However, my other one, Euro Character mini HOWTO, which I wrote because
> I found absolutely no documentation at all on the net and it shows how I
> was able to get euro working on my system. I always knew it wasn't very
> good.
>
> I don't really know if it is useful at all any more. Do modern distros
> handle euro well without any extra work by the user? Could someone who
> knows about these things please have a look?

Just today I read an article on the massive confusion that is the
character sets (It was a link from Telsa's site to Havoc's blog,
being off-line I cannot be more specific).

Even a brief read makes it very clear that this is a far more
serious topic than more people realise; the euro-symbol is just
the tip of the iceberg of years and years of an overly simplistic
idea of character sets. It is not too hard in non-euro character
sets (such as in the US) but more and more painful the more you
differ in characters used. The problem is in the programming
and therefore also in the configuration.

My conclusion is therefore that the Euro HOWTO could be expanded
and will remain important, and for many years to come too, for
programmers and users alike.

Best regards,
    Stein Gjoen