discuss: Is PHP-HOWTO some kind of joke ? (fwd)

Subject: Re: Is PHP-HOWTO some kind of joke ? (fwd)
From: Randy Kramer ####@####.####
Date: 13 Nov 2003 12:40:39 -0000

On Thursday 13 November 2003 03:53 am, jdd wrote:
> on my opinion I need a wiki for the following reason.
>
> I often use product for weeks before finding bug. At that time, I think
> this bug is probably already known (for example mozilla jokes with the
> view message options) nd I don't wonder to cope with bugzilla only to
> see if it is the case.
>
> If I could go and look at a wiki, I coulds see a list of users comment
> and eventually author mark ("done", "wrong", coming soon...) and know if
> I must add mine.
>
> in fact a friendly bug tracker should be better, but I don't know one.
> (I try to beta test OpenOffice.org, with bugzilla, it's an horror)

Thanks for your response!

Not seeing a whole lot of enthusiasm expressed so far for a wiki, I was
thinking that putting a list of errors, comments, or whatever on a wiki (say
WikiLearn for now) would not be very useful.

On the other hand, to a certain extent, WikiLearn is not (necessarily) meant
to be the type of site you go to and start reading from a portal page, but I
see it more often being useful because there are (will be) a lot of pages
(tidbits of information) hopefully (I know) on well named pages, and/or
including well chosen key words and phrases, so that the pages can be found
with a Google search.

If we use a good naming convention and include the full (canonical) name of
the HOWTO in the document (for the sake of argument, assume a page name of
CppBeautifierHowtoErrors (or ... Comments) with key phrases like "C++
Beautifier HOWTO Errors" and "C++ Beautifier HOWTO Comments" (and / or others
as appropriate), an author, reviewer, or reader should be able to easily find
those pages with an appropriate Google search.

So, even if only a few people want to create some pages on WikiLearn to record
errors, comments, or whatever, it should be useful.

Randy Kramer