discuss: Removing the RCS/CVS HOWTO for review

Subject: RE: Removing the RCS/CVS HOWTO for review
From: Y Giridhar Appaji Nag ####@####.####
Date: 13 Nov 2003 09:12:03 -0000

Chr. Clemens Lee wrote:
> curious from all the talk about how bad the al dev stuff really is, I
> took a peak at the cvs doc. I must say, it isn't soo bad. All the
> basic update, commit stuff etc. is described. When having the choice
> between no document and that one, I would vote for the second option.

That is correct, but there are things in there that shouldn't have been
there. There is incorrect information in there. but this is not the only
document of the author which is written that way, sadly.

> Further more if people use google searching for "cvs howto", guess
> what, the tldp howto pops up on the number one spot. I am sure I

This is not the magic of the "CVS HOWTO" but because of the word HOWTO
in it :-). Just type "Source Code Control System HOWTO" in google and
check if you get any HOWTO about SCCS ;-). The document in question is
very poorly named isn't it? we have gone wrong in the basics.

> haven't linked to the cvs doc, but I assume some people must have
> done so, or it wouldn't have gotten to the top. This shows at least
> some popularity. There are other cvs howtos out there that didn't get
> the number one spot. So I am not sure if removing the cvs document

Yes, those other documents have been named as HOWTOs, but when you say
HOWTO, it is usually the TLDP documents that come up.

> P.S. Unfortunately when I was in need to brush up my cvs knowledge
> lately I remember I googled for "cvs tutorial" and therefore missed
> the tldp cvs document back then. Otherwise I would have gotten the

Whenever someone asked me for a CVS tutorial, I always pointed them to
mollis documents preceded by a few help commands from those that I use.

These days, I recommend http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html and
the basic chapters in that one.

	Giridhar

--
Y Giridhar Appaji Nag                 http://www.pratapgarh.com/appaji

Controversy is wasteful, but lays things out, shows where people stand,
(or refuse to), is a necessary yardstick of opinion, and is, heavenly
compared to the alternative of being a helpless silent passive tool of
anybody loud and obnoxious who knows how to bark at some sheep. - Alfie
Costa on debian-project

an individual are not necessarily those of UbiNetics