discuss: licenses

Subject: Re: licenses
From: "Guru -" ####@####.####
Date: 13 Nov 2003 02:55:21 -0000

"I looked at the GNU Free Documentation
>License (http://www.fsf.org/licenses/fdl.html) and it seems like you must
>include a complete copy of the license in any document that you want to be
>covered by the license. It looks like most HOWTOs refer to the license but
>don't actually include it, and I suspect that is a problem."
It can be, but there are many documents which do this (outside the tldp),
I'm not sure whether you are required to include the license or required to
provide a link to the license, eg. web reference.
My document includes a copy of the license,
http://www.karakas-online.de/gnu-linux-tools-summary/

">And there is something else. The GNU Free Documentation License is
>not on the list of licenses approved by http://www.opensource.org. Is that
>a problem?"
I'm not sure why its not listed, maybe its because its designed for
documentation and not software....(well GNU defined free software, so I
think that it would be Open-source :))....

Or maybe its because of the controversy of the front/back cover issue (if
they are there you can't remove them which could be considered a restriction
in freedom...).

Anyway, its quite safe to use the license to protect your work as it
enforces freedom just like the GPL does for software.

Gareth