discuss: Removing the RCS/CVS HOWTO for review

Subject: Re: Removing the RCS/CVS HOWTO for review
From: John Levon ####@####.####
Date: 13 Nov 2003 00:07:31 -0000

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:42:34PM +0100, Chr. Clemens Lee wrote:

> curious from all the talk about how bad the al dev stuff really is, I
> took a peak at the cvs doc. I must say, it isn't soo bad. All the basic

It is indeed not *that* bad. But that isn't good enough a reason for it
to be kept IMHO...

> update, commit stuff etc. is described. When having the choice between
> no document and that one, I would vote for the second option.

...because the only real useful content in the document is the
copy-and-paste of the command line help.

> So if you want to remove it, I suggest someone writes a better
> replacement first.

The way the LDP works is that troublesome documents with more than minor
correctness or style issues are removed for review. This is intended to
be a *temporary* process; i.e. when the document meets the standards of
the LDP community as a whole, it can be go through the now-in-place
review process.

We can't wait around for some mythical person to write a replacement
whilst these documents are still being distributed (and yes, I have
heard many bad comments about the LDP "from the ground" over the last
couple of years, and these have tended to mostly refer to the documents
under issue).

> Further more if people use google searching for "cvs howto", guess what,

Pretty much any search with "howto" will find the LDP document if there
is an applicable one. I'm not sure that means much.

> the tldp howto pops up on the number one spot. I am sure I haven't
> linked to the cvs doc, but I assume some people must have done so, or it
> wouldn't have gotten to the top. This shows at least some popularity.

Not necessarily true; this is not how Google works. The CVS HOWTO will
benefit from the rank of LDP as a whole; which is, of course, high for
"howto".

The first link for "cvs" is to cvshome.org, which has a plethora of
useful information.

regards,
john