discuss: replacing the howto and reviewing

Subject: replacing the howto and reviewing
From: rahul ####@####.####
Date: 12 Nov 2003 23:13:25 -0000

Hi

Since the howtos have been removed off the collection we should work towards
replacing them. Of all the howtos in the collection  I believe the kernel
howto is something that should be worked on as soon as possible. Since the
new kernel 2.6 is about to be released information on using it would also be
necessary.

Is anybody up for the task?

status of the other howtos

php howto - I believe the php howto was not necessary and the best document
you can get on php is the php.net manual. Moreover PHP 5 which presently is
on beta doesnt have any docs.. If someone wants to write docs on php write it
for the latest version and submit it to php.net

c++ programming howto - a huge amount of docs are available on c++. this
shouldnt be part of ldp.

postgres howto - ??

c, c++ beautifier ->??

cpu design howto - not of general interest to linux users.

cvs-rcs howto - many linux developers and users would use cvs. if there are
good reference material it should be added to resouces section of ldp.

diskless howto -??

kernel howto - obscure material. should be cleared up and info on 2.6 added

lilo crash rescue howto - good info should be merged with lilo howto and
dropped

modem dialup nt howto - ??

rpm for unix howto - does anyone use rpm outside of linux?. I have not heard
of such usages.

vim howto - do we have good material of vim elsewhere?. vim is very important
to linux sys admins and its important that ldp have some information on it.

I believe some of the guides are pretty outdated too. shall we start looking
at them one by one?

regards
rahul sundaram