discuss: reviewing all the howtos

Subject: Re: reviewing all the howtos
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 12 Nov 2003 22:53:49 -0000

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 07:27, rahul wrote:
> hi
>

> > RCS/CVS HOWTO
> > LILO HOWTO
> > PHP-HOWTO (has already been removed from Single list of HOWTOs)
> > C-C++Beautifier-HOWTO
> > Kernel-HOWTO
> > C++ Programming HOWTO
> >
> > I think we all agree that the above list should be retired (be it
> > temporarily or not) from the distribution list.
> >
> > T.
>

> seems to be almost the complete list of his howtos. i tried to compile a
> kernel with his instructions a week or so before the php issue came up. it
> isnt really usable at all. I am sure we have other outdated howtos too. if we
> take this up as a oppurtunity to review and revise those howtos too I would
> be glad.

If there was any way of salvaging the works of Al Dev, and you think
you'd be willing to look into reviewing, that would be of help to us.
Have you seen the Reviewer HOWTO?
(http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LDP-Reviewer-HOWTO/)  You might want to take
a look before you do.

One of my main goals for some time now as "coordinator" has been to get
enough people together to work on existing documentation, starting with
the oldest dated in the list.  The extra help would be most welcome!
Were you just interested in reviewing Al Dev's, or others as well?

> If we have a template for the howtos so they look consistent enough it would
> be much more readable.

We have templates in terms of starter files for sgml and xml.  These
show the metadata we usually include in each doc (guides tend to look a
little different at the top than HOWTOs).  As for chapter and section
headings, these can very a lot from document to document, but there seem
to be some common ones we could suggest.  It would probably take some
comparison from a bunch of them to really nail them down.

If you follow this link
http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/The_LDP_HOWTO_Generator.html you could
consider Stein Gjoen's suggestions for common section titles.

Let me know!

Thanks,
Tab

--