discuss: Author Guide -- revised

Subject: Author Guide -- revised
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 12 Nov 2003 22:20:45 -0000

Hello :)

For those who are interested in editing/proofreading the Author Guide, it
is now ready for that phase. Please feel free to make changes directly to
the CVS version. I will continue to add small edits to the document.
Before I do any editing I will "cvs update"--if you are editing, please
also make sure you are always working from the most recent copy.

I have also placed a single-file HTML version on my site. This will NOT be
archived or updated. It's a one-shot deal. Grab the file if you'd like it,
and in a week or so I will remove it.
http://xtrinsic.com/geek/articles/LDP-Author-Guide.html
The document is approximately 235K. I make no apologies for its size. ;)
Please be aware that I have *not* uploaded any images to my server.

Here is the current TODO for the document. It will not be ready for
release until after the following have been completed:
	- new screen captures for all software
	- spell check (I've tried to use American spelling, but I make no
	  promises)
	- markup added to templates.xml
	- markup added to resources.xml and the reference added back into the
	  main file (LDP-Author-Guide.xml). It is currently commented out.
	  There's a mishmash of markup used in this file. All markup should be
	  consistent when the file is complete. One section is specifically
	  referenced from an external file: references-techwriting. Please
	  either update ag-writing.xml or add the section when you do the
	  markup (URLs are already there).
	- Search for "FIXME" and "TODO" in all documents. There are sometimes
	  requests for editing, markup, screen captures, etc.
	- Text I have written and [enclosed in square brackets] probably needs
	  to be removed or at the bare minimum re-written.
	- Check the formatting for the DocBook markup I've used. In some
	  instances (e.g. Getting a CVS Account) the markup doesn't look
	  correct when it's output to HTML.
	- Review flow of the document. Add cross-references to sections where
	  it makes sense to do so.

There is still work to be done in the following sections:
	- Jade/Transformations: remove and point to Saqib Ali's document:
			http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DocBook-OpenJade-SGML-XML-HOWTO/index.html
	- Validation

Please note: I have tried to re-write the LAG to make an "Author Guide." It is no
longer "How to write DocBook documents for the LDP." While you may
disagree with some of the changes I have made to the flow, please
remember:
	- I posted a revised outline months ago which received little to no
	  oposition
	- I have spent in the range of 100 hours editing and re-writing the
	  old document to make it what it is now
Please tread lightly.

thank you,
emma