discuss: reviewing all the howtos

Subject: Re: reviewing all the howtos
From: Randy Kramer ####@####.####
Date: 12 Nov 2003 20:35:20 -0000

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 01:42 pm, s. keeling wrote:
> Incoming from Machtelt Garrels:
> > So we need two lists:
> > - - one holding docs that might still be valid;
> > - - another one holding the addresses of all the authors who need to be
> > contacted.
>
> - - authors who have been contacted.
> - - authors we're awaiting replies from.
> - - authors who could not be found.
> - - documents currently being worked on.
> - - documents retired/removed.
> - - documents that have been updated/survived the process.

I don't know if anyone ever mentioned such a thing as a wiki ;-) (sorry!).

Just to mention one way TWiki could be put to use.  If someone furnished a
list of authors and email addresses "who need to be contacted" (in a simple
format, perhaps one author per line, with a comma (or almost anything
separating his name and address, I could do the following (for example):

   * Take the list into nedit and reparse the lines to look something like
this (using myself as an example):

|  Author  |  Address  |  Contacted  |  Replied  |  No response  | ... |
|  Randy Kramer  |  rhkramerATfastDOTnet  |  |  |  |  |

which could then be pasted on a TWiki page and would appear as a table.  It
could then be kept up-to-date by someone (or more than one person) via the
Internet.

There are some things to be considered:
   * We may want to list the author's names last name first and then divide
the document into multiple pages to improve response over the Internet.
   * If we want to include the document titles (that might be a better way to
organize the list), we might want to consider an alternate format (bulleted
list, definition list, numbered list) to avoid a very wide (and thus
cumbersome) table.
   * Note that TWiki, via a plugin (IIRC) does provide mild obfuscation of
email addressses, as shown above.
   * If maintained as a table, I'm fairly certain the spreadsheet functions of
TWiki can help gather some statistics.
   * ???

If this is of interest, get me a list and I'll set it up, presumably (ignoring
"real life", and depending on the format of the source list and the preferred
form on TWiki) within between 2 and 12 working hours.

regards,
Randy Kramer