discuss: Removing the RCS/CVS HOWTO for review

Subject: Re: Removing the RCS/CVS HOWTO for review
From: Emma Jane Hogbin ####@####.####
Date: 12 Nov 2003 19:50:35 -0000

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:42:34PM +0100, Chr. Clemens Lee wrote:
> curious from all the talk about how bad the al dev stuff really is, I
> took a peak at the cvs doc. I must say, it isn't soo bad. All the basic
> update, commit stuff etc. is described. When having the choice between
> no document and that one, I would vote for the second option.

I personally /like/ the document and have used it on several occasions to
solve my own problems. Sure there is some very obvious biased language but
it doesn't bother me as it's /very obvious/ and therefore easy to gloss
over. I don't ever expect documents that I find online to be highly
polished. This is a perfect example. I prefer the formatting of an HTML
page to a man page. Even those this one "only" has the output of a bunch
of man pages for some information, I find it useful.

I'd like to think that by the time you're reading a HOWTO you already have
a pretty good idea that you need to use the technology you're reading
about, you're just not sure how to use it. (Hence the HOWTO part of the
name...)

I'm not meaning to suggest that this document is the best one ever written
on the subject. HOWEVER, I really don't think it's as bad as some of the
comments have suggested it is.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin