discuss: Removing the RCS/CVS HOWTO for review

Subject: Re: Removing the RCS/CVS HOWTO for review
From: "Chr. Clemens Lee" ####@####.####
Date: 12 Nov 2003 19:42:29 -0000

Hi all, John,

curious from all the talk about how bad the al dev stuff really is, I
took a peak at the cvs doc. I must say, it isn't soo bad. All the basic
update, commit stuff etc. is described. When having the choice between
no document and that one, I would vote for the second option.

So if you want to remove it, I suggest someone writes a better
replacement first. I also wouldn't mind to have the choice between 3 or
more different documents covering a similar topic (as there is also a
document covering only RCS on tldp).

Further more if people use google searching for "cvs howto", guess what,
the tldp howto pops up on the number one spot. I am sure I haven't
linked to the cvs doc, but I assume some people must have done so, or it
wouldn't have gotten to the top. This shows at least some popularity.
There are other cvs howtos out there that didn't get the number one
spot. So I am not sure if removing the cvs document would do the linux
documentation project any favour (or any people looking for cvs help).

Just my $0.02,
   Clemens

P.S. Unfortunately when I was in need to brush up my cvs knowledge
lately I remember I googled for "cvs tutorial" and therefore missed the
tldp cvs document back then. Otherwise I would have gotten the first
hand experience of how useful that document really is.