discuss: reviewing all the howtos

Subject: Re: reviewing all the howtos
From: doug jensen ####@####.####
Date: 12 Nov 2003 18:36:53 -0000

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 09:39:48AM -0600, Machtelt Garrels wrote:
> Shall we start by taking out everything that dates from the previous
> century, to make the work-list a bit shorter? :)
> Reviewing _all_ the HOWTOs cannot be done just like that with a snip of
> the fingers, you realize that too.  But I agree we should seize the
> opportunity: if there are any other flagrant docs in the list, this is the
> time to speak up.  If you're knowledgeable about the subject, of course.

Not sure but I think this may be over doing it.  As David Lawyer has
pointed out before, old doesn't necessarily mean bad, just like new
doesn't necessarily mean good.

Could you hold off on this for a day or two, I would like to try to come
up with a better solution.  Maybe at least try to contact the authors
with a notice that a response from them is needed, something like:

=====
The Linux Documentation Project is in the process of cleaning the
repository.  You are listed as maintainer of Foo-HOWTO, that hasn't been
updated recently.  Could you please review your HOWTO and post your
opinion of it's current usability to ####@####.####  If you cannot
respond within ten days, your HOWTO might be removed from the
distribution of current HOWTOs or removed from the archive completely.
Thank you for your consideration, and please respond to
####@####.####

Sincerely,
The Linux Documentation Project
=====

Also some the the 'good' orphaned HOWTOs could be listed as maintained by
TLDP, then it would be easier to do updates.  If the updating became a
problem the HOWTO could be orphaned again.

If this solution isn't acceptable let me know and I will look for
something different.

--
Doug Jensen