discuss: reviewing all the howtos

Subject: Re: reviewing all the howtos
From: Martin WHEELER ####@####.####
Date: 12 Nov 2003 17:18:11 -0000

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Machtelt Garrels wrote:

> Shall we start by taking out everything that dates from the previous
> century, to make the work-list a bit shorter? :)

Sounds good to me.  (Drastic; but a start.)

> Reviewing _all_ the HOWTOs cannot be done just like that with a snip of
> the fingers, you realize that too.  But I agree we should seize the
> opportunity: if there are any other flagrant docs in the list, this is the
> time to speak up.  If you're knowledgeable about the subject, of course.

As one of the co-"maintainers" of a very out-of-date HOWTO [what used
to be the Distributions HOWTO, now the Guide to English language
distributions available on CD], I propose that it be taken out of
circulation for the moment, whilst Andy and I think about re-casting it
in a new format.  (If at all.)
As it stands, it's an embarrassment.  Despite making it available in
Wiki form for the last three years, we have not been able to attract the
public editorship involvement we had hoped for; nor are the producers of
the various distributions interested in sending us any information every
time a change is made to their distributions.  (I personally wrote
to 150-odd producers on behalf of this document.  The take-up was
abysmal.)  There are now also other sources on the 'net covering the
same subject which are more accurate, more up-to-date, and more
regularly maintained.

This particular document needs a re-think.

So, Tille / Greg -- if you wouldn't mind whipping that one out of the
core repository as well, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
####@####.####                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/