discuss: Al Devs HOWTOs (was Re: Is PHP-HOWTO some kind of joke ?)

Subject: Re: Al Devs HOWTOs (was Re: Is PHP-HOWTO some kind of joke ?)
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 12 Nov 2003 08:22:35 -0000

David Lawyer wrote:

> I would like to quote from his C++ Programming HOWTO:
>
>   As someone said - Leave the C/C++ programming to system engineers who
>   write operating system, device drivers and fast response real-time
>   programming, you should use Java/PHP-scripting as speed of the
>   computers in year 2005 will be several billion times faster than
>   computers of year 2002!!  Hardware is getting cheaper and faster.
>
> This is, in my opinion, an flagrant lie and it reflects on the
> character of Al Dev.

I don't now if such an affirmation is well placed in a c++ howto. but
it's not a lie, it's an opinion. an I share this opinion, so I don't
think it's so stupid.

long time ago anybody was programming in machine language (punching
holes), then come the Hi-level langages and they seemed silly.

It's not stupid to say that with so fast computer we have, the use of
more manageable langages will become usefull.

I wont continue on this. I said this just to quote that Al may be
enthousiastic, that his HOWTO must probably be reviewved, but one must
not say anything only because he's hangry.

> At one time not too long ago, we blindly accepted HOWTOs without any
> review.  That's how Al Dev's stuff got into our collection.  Thus I
> think that since they were never reviewed in the first place that we
> have every right to remove them.

I think we have every right to remove them without any reason. the
"right". the problemn is will we do this ? and the answer is probably "yes".

> necessarily doing technical reviews, so poor documents could still be
> slipping by.

so we should not try to kill bad documents authors.

could we return to a reasonable tone?

anybody (I mean really anybody) have a concern again a HOWTO. We should
try to review this one, write the author about the concern and publish
it on this list, then make a collective decision. That's all.

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
Me contacter avant d'envoyer une pièce jointe, merci.