discuss: Al Devs HOWTOs (was Re: Is PHP-HOWTO some kind of joke ?)

Subject: Re: Al Devs HOWTOs (was Re: Is PHP-HOWTO some kind of joke ?)
From: Martin WHEELER ####@####.####
Date: 12 Nov 2003 08:03:20 -0000

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, David Lawyer wrote:

> > David Lawyer wrote:
> > >Well, he has seriously hurt the LDP with his junk,

I heartily agree.
At least one person on this list has already said they do NOT include
his offerings due to their poor quality; as a Linux trainer I have to
admit to advising students NOT to read anything written by this author
for any purpose other than amusement.
How many others do likewise?
Releasing material like this makes the LDP a laughing stock, and does
absolutely nothing to promote a professional image.
My personal opinion is that these HOWTOs are manifestly in a
class by themselves, that the style employed in their writing is
deliberate, consistent and unlikely to change; and they should
therefore be pulled immediately, pending possible review / rewrite /
relegation.

> I mean damage to our reputation and possibly related to our HOWTOs not
> being distributed with distributions such as Redhat.

Or any other distribution with half an eye to promoting a serious image!
There is absolutely NO justification for continuing to include these
documents in a professional offering.

> At one time not too long ago, we blindly accepted HOWTOs without any
> review.  That's how Al Dev's stuff got into our collection.  Thus I
> think that since they were never reviewed in the first place that we
> have every right to remove them.

Seconded.
And the quicker the better for the reputation of the LDP.

> > I don't really know Al or his abilities, but looking at his website he
> > seems like he is certainly full of enthusiasm for Linux.

That doesn't make him a responsible or careful writer to whom the
reputation of the whole LDP project can be entrusted.

> >  The
> > enthusiasm needs to be fostered, not snuffed.

OK -- take him under your wing, personally, and give him the language
mentoring he needs to become a responsible representative of the LDP.
From what I see of his writings, and his unwillingness to participate on
this list, it's not anything I would be prepared to take on myself.
Meanwhile, let's remove these sub-standard offerings for the sake of the
reputation of the project as a whole.

> I only regret that I failed to do this sooner.  Enthusiasm doesn't
> justify poor documentation.
>
> > The ultimate responsibility for publication, and hence the quality of
> > the documents, should rest with TLDP, not Al Dev.

Agreed.  So let's stop pussy-footing around with the politically correct
attitudes, and accept full responsibility for what we present to the
public.

If Al Dev wishes to communicate with me on this, he may do so.  Via this
list.

Regards,
####@####.####                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/