discuss: WikiText: Still alive? DocBook ==> WikiText? Testing site?

Subject: Re: WikiText: Still alive? DocBook ==> WikiText? Testing site?
From: Martin WHEELER ####@####.####
Date: 11 Nov 2003 23:36:34 -0000

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Randy Kramer wrote:

> Is WikiText still alive?  Is anybody using it to create LDP documents?

Dunno.  I used it extensively a couple of years ago for LDP purposes;
then lost access to it somehow.

> IIUC, the primary direction of WikiText is WikiText => DocBook (in other
> words, you can write a document in WikiText and have it converted to
> DocBook).  Is there a (reasonably easy) way to go DocBook => WikiText so I
> can use WikiText to edit a (DocBook) document that was not created in
> WikiText?

Can't really answer this one -- I just used to upload great wodges of
Docbook *marked-up* text -- straight into the wiki.  For other authors
to amend as they read.

> Is there a site where I could try out WikiText, perhaps on somebody else's
> document or a trial document (or to start my own trial document)?

If you find it, let me know, will you?

Oh, and someone was asking -- "What *is* a Wiki?"

Well, the easiest way to find out how a wiki can be used in an LDP
environment is to go to:

     http://startext.demon.co.uk/distwiki/

and play with a wikified HOWTO that has been there for 3? years, but
gets no attention at all from anyone, not even me any more :(

[A wikiweb is a set of web pages which are editable by the reader --
yes, you can blow away all someone else's work!  But responsible folks
don't.  Go look at the distwiki and see.  Feel free to update and amend
as you wish.]

Cheers,
####@####.####                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/