discuss: WikiText: Still alive? DocBook ==> WikiText? Testing site?

Subject: WikiText: Still alive? DocBook ==> WikiText? Testing site?
From: Randy Kramer ####@####.####
Date: 11 Nov 2003 19:14:24 -0000

I was doing some looking around for new wiki type things and was reminded of
WikiText.  I googled, and found and read the HOWTO, and googled some more for
some other questions without much luck:

Is WikiText still alive?  Is anybody using it to create LDP documents?

IIUC, the primary direction of WikiText is WikiText => DocBook (in other
words, you can write a document in WikiText and have it converted to
DocBook).  Is there a (reasonably easy) way to go DocBook => WikiText so I
can use WikiText to edit a (DocBook) document that was not created in
WikiText?  (Sorry if I'm misusing the term DocBook, I am aware that there are
2 or 3 varieties of the standardized documentation markup that the LDP uses,
I just don't remember many details (including which is the preferred one
(except the consensus last time I read the lists was that the more
complicated (SGML??) version was preferred. ;-)

Is there a site where I could try out WikiText, perhaps on somebody else's
document or a trial document (or to start my own trial document)?  I know
WikiText supposedly exists on http://db.linuxdoc.org, and I can get access
(by writing to, IIRC, David Merrill), but, the access is apparently only to
my own documents.  Of course, I guess I could request access and then start
my own document.

I guess I'll write to David while I watch for any responses to this.  Or, even
easier, I'll cc him.

Randy Kramer