discuss: Re: about your "KDE GUI Login Configuration HOWTO"

Subject: Re: about your "KDE GUI Login Configuration HOWTO"
From: John Meshkoff ####@####.####
Date: 9 Nov 2003 21:27:37 -0000

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 20:53:48 +0530
rahul ####@####.#### wrote:

> John Meshkoff wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 12:13:53 +0900 (JST)
> >Chie Nakatani ####@####.#### wrote:
> >

> >>Hello,How are you?
> >>
> >> My name is (Mrs.)Chie Nakatani.
> >> I am from Japan.
> >> I have read your "KDE GUI Login Configuration HOWTO".
> >> I am a member of JF(Japanese FAQ)Project..
> >> http://www.linux.or.jp/JF/
> >>
> >>I would like to translate your "KDE GUI Login Configuration HOWTO"
> >>into Japanese and distribute it under your copyright notice. Is this
> >>OK?
> >>
> >>many thanks
> >>Chie Nakatani
> >>

> >	That would be OK; I wrote the HOWTO to help other Linux users,
> >	and
> >translating documents to help users that don't know English is a
> >service to the international Linux community.
> >
> >	 I am CC'ing this reply to the Linux Documentation
> >Project email list. I don't see any reference in your mail to tldp,
> >are you participating or communicating with tldp with regard to your
> >HOWTO Japanese translation projects?  If not, It would be apropos to
> >do so. If you are in touch with tldp already, I would appreciate to
> >know that.
> >

> >Sincerely,
> >
> >John
> >

> ><http://www.tldp.org/>
> >

> I think this howto is made redundant now by kde login manager
> handbook. It would be more appropriate to submit this to kde
> documentation project and merge any additional information with the
> handbook itself rather than maintain it seperately
>
> regards
> rahul sundaram

	That's probably correct; my HOWTO was written based on what was
available when I got my RH6.1 (KDE 1.x?), it's not up to date and the
info then was somewhat incomplete, or IIRC the help files on 6.1 for KDE
had some problem as some helplinks didn't work in that version (I did
find later upon searching through my hard disk that there was coverage
in the KDE help files of some, but not each issue I had tried to
address, such as what file the executeable commands for the menu
selection resided in, which wasn't a KDE file but an X
file  [i.e.,Xsession]). I haven't seen the latest KDE stuff(I'm still
running the same old distribution as a home computer), so I presume from
your reply they've cleaned up the KDE login handbook pretty well.

	I'm sure my HOWTO doesn't have anything the KDE is unaware of,
and I'm not personally in touch with the KDE project; I don't know if
they need any Japanese language help, but perhaps Mr. Nakatani might
want to investigate that avenue.  I suspect from his having this
Japanese FAQ page that there has been some kind of difficulty for
Japanese users finding what they want to know in the documentation
that's installed or configured on whatever distros they are using.

regards
John

John Meshkoff johnm at sivakalpa dot org	Bom Shankar Bholenath'
{"May We Recognize God's Will in Each Other, and in All We Say and do"
"I don't know that I know the Self fully, neither do I know that I know
 him not"	  		    	{from the 'Upanishads'}
http://www.sivakalpa.org/johnpipe/