discuss: Re: ldp-author-tools RPM package

Subject: Re: ldp-author-tools RPM package
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 3 Nov 2003 16:05:11 -0000

At 01:31 11/3/2003, jdd wrote:

>first I did a similar work for SuSE 8.2, to be found here:
>
>http://www.euro-formation.com/ldp-docbook/docbook-needs.html
>
>second I did _not_ follow all the dependency links (needs to run rpm -qR
>for any given pack), this must be done for every obscure rpm pacquet and
>is tiresome and unusefull.
>
>third if you work with a given distro, It's enough to use the distro's own
>packet system to deal with dependencies. I don't know RedHat (last used 5
>years ago :-(), but SuSE Yast2 do a very good job.

I have not checked whether those packages require any others, but in fact
using Red Hat's "up2date" program will automatically take care of any
dependencies. Later on, when I reinstall a system, I'll check and make sure
what dependencies are required and list them. However, this will only be
required if the user is going to issue a straight "rpm -Uvh" command and
does not have a package-management tool like up2date, yum, current, or
apt-rpm. If any of those are available, then the task is easier.

>So what to do?
>
>* give the location of the relevant packets in the Distribution's system.
>
>on SuSE 8.2 its in /productivity/Publishing/DocBook (all the docbook*
>products).
>
>* may be do an empty rpm with only dependencies, which install all the
>stuff from the distro disks (is that possible?)

Indeed the "ldp-author-tools" RPM package needs only to contain two or
three files:

  - the LDP stylesheet (ldp.dsl)
  - a short set of instructions or documentation

The package will require as dependencies the docbook/sgml/xml/linuxdoc
packages mentioned previously.

>this installs however more than the products necessary - for example One
>have docbook2x _and_ db2x, the one I usually run. no one is really
>necessary. The given packets, without openjade, weight 20Mo, but I don't
>know how to know the total size with libraries and anyway many of the
>libraries are already needed by others packets and so already installed.

Without openjade, I came up with 13MB (27MB with openjade). I will look
later to see if there is any duplication among the packages, but I would
think there isn't really.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz