discuss: docs

Subject: Re: docs
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 2 Nov 2003 16:49:09 -0000

At 01:58 11/2/2003, jdd wrote:
>But there are two direction one like us can work:
>
>* make a better LAG - that is may be document all the necessary steps to
>build a working docbook environment with vi as an editor. but make this
>distibution dependant (and up to date at any new one). THis can be _very_
>difficult because when one works on the same distro from a long time many
>libs are already installed you don't now of, so this mean probably
>building docbook from zero to max on a freshly owned distro. I could try
>to di this for SuSE if necessary.
>
>* make a better index. there are really too many HOWTO now, they need to
>be classified and more than one index type is good, but still this mean
>maintainers.

I agree completely with jdd on this. A better LAG and better indexing are
excellent steps forward. In particular, I suggest that assigning each HOWTO
to a category (networking, server functionality, etc.) and an age group
(updated within the last six months, one year, two years, and bloody well
ancient) would be quick steps to improving the ability of the reader to
select documents useful to his/her purposes.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz