discuss: docs

Subject: Re: docs
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 2 Nov 2003 07:58:38 -0000

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> I just got here recently, after a few years of using Linux on small
> servers and groaning that there were either no docs to learn from, or

I'm fully with you :-)

I'm working now for years, with my very little capability, in this
direction.

I remember years where friends said "linux is _not_ for everybody" and I
said this is a suicide :-)

practically I tried to drive OpenOffice.org to be docbook compliant and
(not beeing the only one to do so) it is on the way to be, but the
docbook support is not yet fully easy.

I tried also to drive LyX to be ldp docbook compliant, but LyX don't
like revhistory tag :-(. This tag exists in the last version, but I
can't make it work).

Happily my own HOWTO is very small and, of course, in english. In
english matters because one of my problem writting docs in french (my
native language) is the coding of accents in vi or emacs.

but, as you said, helping OOo or LyX mean programming and as a teacher I
know docs but little in programming.

as an example, I have to setup my own mail server. Friends said "it's
easy!!!". It's not. Not on a running and active server when the mail
must not be stopped.

I hope to be able to write in a short future a "build a server made
easy" doc, with a list of the Internet protocols to serve, at least one
application that do that for each and it's configuration - as you said I
can install products on a snap, but configure them is not so easy.;

as an example, I installed qpopper, can send mail from the server to the
server read mail from it by pop, but not send mail from internet to the
server. This is probably related to the suse 8.2 config of
postfix/sendmail or firewall, I don't yet know.

but I need to access my mail from outside, thus need IMP who needs
Horde, who needs PHP and I don't know what means "installing PHP" (is
that the php_mod for apache? please _don't answer_ theses questions,
they are only examples.

so I need time, extracting the meaningfull data from enormous unusefull
documentation (this of qpopper is exactly what should not be done :-()

But I know LDP is working hard too in this direction. inline validation
is a step.

But there are two direction one like us can work:

* make a better LAG - that is may be document all the necessary steps to
build a working docbook environment with vi as an editor. but make this
distibution dependant (and up to date at any new one). THis can be
_very_ difficult because when one works on the same distro from a long
time many libs are already installed you don't now of, so this mean
probably building docbook from zero to max on a freshly owned distro. I
could try to di this for SuSE if necessary.

* make a better index. there are really too many HOWTO now, they need to
be classified and more than one index type is good, but still this mean
maintainers.

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
Me contacter avant d'envoyer une pièce jointe, merci.