discuss: How to create a HOWTO on Red Hat Linux 9?

Subject: Re: How to create a HOWTO on Red Hat Linux 9?
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Oct 2003 01:55:17 -0000

At 17:23 10/19/2003, David Lloyd wrote:

>It's not a linuxdoc format. The Doctype declaration should be obvious that
>it's DocBook V3.1.
>
>Try:
>
>  docbook2pdf sourcefile.sgml

Thanks, Dan. Keep in mind that I've never done this before, so "obvious"
things do not yet jump out at me.

The command suggested worked and generated a functional HTML page, albeit
with some weird things like putting "<P" on one line and the closing ">" on
the other line (and the same for most every other tag). HTML Tidy generated
63 warnings on the generated HTML and fixed the tags to "<P>", but both the
original and the tidied version showed up in a browser visibly.

However, docbook2html also generated a bunch of errors, attached here, and
mostly about some elements like "SECT2" not being allowed by the document
type. I'm using Stein Gjoen's "big-howto-template.sgml" and have not
changed anything substantive in the tags (including the DOCTYPE on the
first line), so I don't know what it's complaining about.

Should I somehow switch this thing to Linuxdoc, or where can I find a
Docbook quick-reference guide or tutorial that will get me off the ground?
Between Linuxdoc and Docbook, is there a "better" choice for me? For
documents which could eventually be submitted to the LDP for inclusion? For
Linux documentation in general? I want to write nice, clean, clear,
well-documented code with no bugs... but I don't have much (or any) real
experience at this and I guess I need a little primer or help to get started.

Comments on the errors? Choice of Linuxdoc/Docbook? Anything?

Thanks,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz