discuss: How to create a HOWTO on Red Hat Linux 9?

Subject: How to create a HOWTO on Red Hat Linux 9?
From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" ####@####.####
Date: 19 Oct 2003 16:57:29 -0000

Hello, all:

In the interest of learning how to write Linux documentation and starting
immediately with the format used by the LDP, I have begun to port a couple
of small documents which I have previously handed out as ASCII text into
SGML. (I also tried XML, but made even less progress so I reverted to SGML
for the moment.)

I have attached my SGML source so far along with the errors I received when
running the command "linuxdoc -B html sourcefile.sgml".

Can anyone help me diagnose this? I want to start working on a real
project, but this is my test/learning case and it's... just... not...
working...

Thanks for any advice.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
####@####.####

Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xc0) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 432.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xc1) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 433.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xc2) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 434.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xc3) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 435.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xc4) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 436.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xc5) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 437.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xc6) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 438.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xc7) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 439.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xc8) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 440.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xc9) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 441.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xca) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 442.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xcb) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 443.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xcc) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 444.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xcd) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 445.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xce) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 446.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xcf) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 447.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xd1) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 448.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xd2) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 449.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xd3) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 450.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xd4) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 451.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xd5) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 452.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xd6) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 453.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xd8) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 454.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xd9) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 455.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xda) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 456.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xdb) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 457.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xdc) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 458.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xdd) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 459.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xde) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 460.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 2, after start byte 0xdf) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 461.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xe0) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 462.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xe1) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 463.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xe2) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 464.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xe3) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 465.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xe4) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 466.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xe5) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 467.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xe6) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 468.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xe7) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 469.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xe8) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 470.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xe9) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 471.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xea) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 472.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xeb) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 473.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xec) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 474.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xed) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 475.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xee) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 476.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 3, after start byte 0xef) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 477.
Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected continuation byte 0xb5, with no preceding start byte) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 478.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 4, after start byte 0xf0) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 479.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 4, after start byte 0xf1) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 480.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 4, after start byte 0xf2) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 481.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 4, after start byte 0xf3) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 482.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 4, after start byte 0xf4) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 483.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 4, after start byte 0xf5) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 484.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 4, after start byte 0xf6) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 485.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 5, after start byte 0xf8) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 486.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 5, after start byte 0xf9) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 487.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 5, after start byte 0xfa) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 488.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 5, after start byte 0xfb) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 489.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 6, after start byte 0xfc) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 490.
Malformed UTF-8 character (1 byte, need 6, after start byte 0xfd) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 491.
Malformed UTF-8 character (byte 0xfe) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 492.
Malformed UTF-8 character (byte 0xff) at /usr/share/linuxdoc-tools/LinuxDocTools.pm line 493.
LinuxDoc-Tools version 0.9.20

Usage:
  linuxdoc [options] <infile>

General options:
  --backend={html,info,latex,lyx,rtf,txt,check} -B {html,info,latex,lyx,rtf,txt,check}
  --papersize={a4,letter} -p {a4,letter}
  --language={en,english,english,de,deutsch,german,nl,nederlands,dutch,fr,français,french,es,español,spanish,da,dansk,danish,no,norsk,norwegian,se,svenska,swedish,pt,portuges,portuguese,ca,català,catalan,it,italiano,italian,ro,românã,romanian,ja,japanese,japanese,pl,polski,polish,ko,korean,korean} -l {en,english,english,de,deutsch,german,nl,nederlands,dutch,fr,français,french,es,español,spanish,da,dansk,danish,no,norsk,norwegian,se,svenska,swedish,pt,portuges,portuguese,ca,català,catalan,it,italiano,italian,ro,românã,romanian,ja,japanese,japanese,pl,polski,polish,ko,korean,korean}
  --charset={latin,ascii,nippon,euc-kr} -c {latin,ascii,nippon,euc-kr}
  --style=string -S string
  --tabsize=number -t number
  --debug -d
  --define=string -D string
  --include=string -i string
  --pass=string -P string

Format: html
  --split={0,1,2} -s {0,1,2}
  --toc={0,1,2} -T {0,1,2}
  --dosnames -h
  --imagebuttons -I
  --header=string -H string
  --footer=string -F string

Format: info

Format: latex2e
  Note that this output format requires LaTeX 2e.

  --output={dvi,tex,ps,pdf} -o {dvi,tex,ps,pdf}
  --bibtex -b
  --makeindex -m
  --pagenumber=number -n number
  --quick -q
  --dvips={dvips,dvi2ps,jdvi2kps} -s {dvips,dvi2ps,jdvi2kps}
  --latex={latex,hlatexp,platex,jlatex} -x {latex,hlatexp,platex,jlatex}

Format: lyx

Format: rtf
  --twosplit -2

Format: txt
  --manpage -m
  --filter -f
  --blanks=number -b number

<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN">

<article>

<!-- Header -->

 <artheader>

  <!-- Sendmail SMTP AUTH HOWTO -->
  <!-- Last update: 2003-10-19  -->

  <title>Sendmail SMTP AUTH HOWTO</title>

  <author>
     <firstname>Rodolfo J.</firstname>
     <surname>Paiz</surname>
     <affiliation>
        <address>
           <email>rpaiz -at- simpaticus -dot- com</email>
        </address>
     </affiliation>
  </author>

   <revhistory>
      <revision>
         <revnumber>0.1</revnumber>
         <date>2003-10-19</date>
         <authorinitials>rjp</authorinitials>
           <revremark>
           First draft translated into SGML. Made available in
					 several formats (SGML, HTML, PDF).
           </revremark>
      </revision>

      <!-- Additional (*earlier*) revision histories go here -->
   </revhistory>

  <abstract>
    <indexterm>
      <primary>abstract</primary>
    </indexterm>

    <para>
     This is a very brief document, detailing how to setup Sendmail
     on Red Hat Linux 7.x, 8.0, or 9 to accept mail connections from
     the network, and to demand SMTP AUTH authentication when the
     sender wishes to relay a message (i.e. send a message to a user
     on some other network or server, such that this mail server must
     first receive the mail from the sender and then send the mail to
     the recipient).
    </para>

    <para><ulink url="./Sendmail-SMTP-AUTH-HOWTO.sgml">SGML source
		code</ulink> for this document is available.
    </para>
  </abstract>

 </artheader>

<!-- Section1: Intro -->

<sect1 id="intro">
  <title>Introduction</title>

  <indexterm>
    <primary>introduction</primary>
  </indexterm>

  <para>
   Back in prehistoric times (about five years ago), most SMTP mail
   servers on the open Internet would accept connections from anyone,
   sending mail to anyone else, without knowing for sure or verifying
   the sender's identity in any way. Now that SPAM (unsolicited
   commercial email) is such a huge problem, an administrator's failure
   to lock down a mail server will surely result in being found by
   spammers and abused heavily. I have actually seen a big spammer
   attempt to relay over <emphasis>ten million messages</emphasis>
   through a vulnerable server in the span of a few hours, in effect
   destroying the victim's server and taking over 100% of his bandwidth.
  </para>

  <para>
   Two major mechanisms were created to stop unauthorized relaying:
   SMTP AUTH, which is an IETF standard, and POP-before-SMTP, which is not.
   However, SMTP AUTH required that mail clients such as Outlook and
   Eudora be rewritten to support the new standard and POP-before-SMTP
   could be implemented entirely on the server, so at first "PbS" was
   wildly popular. Today, every single mail client and every single mail
   server of which I am aware supports SMTP AUTH, and its far better
   design makes it the preferred choice.
  </para>

  <para>
   Red Hat, Inc. has taken two major precautionary steps to avoid spam
   and unauthorized relaying through an out-of-the-box install of Red
   Hat Linux. First, the default Sendmail configuration only accepts
   mail that originates from the same box (the "localhost") and does
   not accept any mail from the network at all. Second, although it
   is not activated by default, Sendmail does have the ability to use
   SMTP AUTH and to demand its use by its clients.
  </para>

  <para>
   This document will guide you quickly through the steps required to
   change Sendmail's default configuration in two ways: accept mail
   from the network, and require SMTP AUTH authentication from anyone
   who wishes to relay mail through your server. In order to do so
   with a minimum of confusion, this HOWTO assumes that the following
   conditions are true:

    <orderedlist>
      <listitem>
	operating system, version 7.x, 8.0, or 9.</para>
      </listitem>

      <listitem>
	server, version 8.11.0 or later, and you installed it from
	the RPM package provided by Red Hat, not from source.</para>
      </listitem>

      <listitem>
	Sendmail configuration.</para>
      </listitem>
    </orderedlist>

<!-- Section2: copyright -->

  <sect2 id="copyright">
   <title>Copyright Information</title>

   <para>
    This document is copyrighted (c) 2000 Rodolfo J. Paiz and is
    distributed under the terms of the Linux Documentation Project
    (LDP) license, stated below:
   </para>

   <para>
    Unless otherwise stated, Linux HOWTO documents are
    copyrighted by their respective authors. Linux HOWTO documents may
    be reproduced and distributed in whole or in part, in any medium
    physical or electronic, as long as this copyright notice is
    retained on all copies. Commercial redistribution is allowed and
    encouraged; however, the author would like to be notified of any
    such distributions.
   </para>

   <para>
    All translations, derivative works, or aggregate works
    incorporating any Linux HOWTO documents must be covered under this
    copyright notice. That is, you may not produce a derivative work
    from a HOWTO and impose additional restrictions on its
    distribution. Exceptions to these rules may be granted under
    certain conditions; please contact the Linux HOWTO coordinator at
    the address given below.
   </para>

   <para>
    In short, we wish to promote dissemination of this
    information through as many channels as possible. However, we do
    wish to retain copyright on the HOWTO documents, and would like to
    be notified of any plans to redistribute the HOWTOs.
   </para>

   <para>
    If you have any questions about the LDP license, please contact
    <email>linux-howto -at- metalab -dot- unc -dot- edu</email>
    If you have any questions about this document, please contact
    <email>rpaiz -at- simpaticus -dot- com</email>
   </para>
  </sect2>

<!-- Section2: disclaimer -->

  <sect2 id="disclaimer">
   <title>Disclaimer</title>

   <para>
    No liability for the contents of this documents can be accepted.
    Use the concepts, examples and other content at your own risk.
    As this is a new edition of this document, there may be errors
    and inaccuracies, that may of course be damaging to your system.
    Proceed with caution, and although this is highly unlikely,
    the author(s) do not take any responsibility for that.
   </para>

   <para>
    All copyrights are held by their by their respective owners, unless
    specifically noted otherwise.  Use of a term in this document
    should not be regarded as affecting the validity of any trademark
    or service mark. Naming of particular products or brands should not
    be seen as endorsements.
   </para>

   <para>
    I strongly recommend that you make a full backup of your system
    before major installation and also make backups at regular
    intervals. Disaster and data loss do not often give prior warning.
   </para>
  </sect2>

<!-- Section2: newversions-->

  <sect2 id="newversions">
   <title>New Versions and Change Log</title>

    <indexterm>
     <primary>changelog</primary>
    </indexterm>

   <para>
    This is the first release to be translated into SGML and thus to
    be made available in a variety of formats (SGML, HTML Single Page,
    HTML Multiple Pages, and PDF primarily). All of the text has been
    checked and reviewed, and minor edits have been made. However, no
    major new material has been added, nor has anything been heavily
    or significantly modified.
   </para>

   <para>
    The latest version of this document can always be found on my
    personal website, <ulink url="http://www.simpaticus.com">
    Simpaticus.com</ulink>. The specific URL for this HOWTO is
    <ulink url="http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/sendmail-smtp-auth-howto.html">
    Sendmail SMTP AUTH HOWTO</ulink>.
   </para>
  </sect2>

<!-- Section2: credits -->

  <sect2 id="credits">
   <title>Credits</title>

   <para>
    It is always nice to acknowledge people who have helped make this
    document useful. However, this HOWTO is small enough that I have
		nobody to thank yet. Please do let me know if I have forgotten
		anyone, so I may correct these attributions.
   </para>
  </sect2>

<!-- Section2: feedback -->

  <sect2 id="feedback">
   <title>Feedback</title>

   <para>
    Feedback is most certainly welcome for this document. Without
    your submissions and input, this document wouldn't exist, and I
    wrote it to make it useful to you, so any suggestions will help
    me do a better job of explaining and communicating. Please send
    your additions, comments and criticisms to the following email
    address: <email>rpaiz -at- simpaticus -dot- com</email>.
   </para>
   </sect2>

<!-- Section2: translations -->

  <sect2 id="translations">
   <title>Translations</title>

   <para>
    At this point, this HOWTO is only available in English. I can later
    translate it into Spanish and Portuguese if there is demand for it,
    and will be happy to work with anyone who will help me translate it
    into any other languages. Please contact me for any related issues
    at <email>rpaiz -at- simpaticus -dot- com</email>.
   </para>
   </sect2>

 </sect1>

<!-- Section1: intro: END -->

</article>

<!-- Keep this comment at the end of the file
Local variables:
mode: sgml
sgml-omittag:t
sgml-shorttag:t