discuss: what to use for drawings

Subject: Re: what to use for drawings
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 30 Sep 2003 21:36:16 -0000

David Lawyer wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 09:39:06PM +0800, SAQIB wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I working on updating an HOWTO, and I need to draw something related to
>>PKI. I have Visio and it is appropriate template for this particular need.
>>
>>I was wondering if there is a opensource drawing application, which has
>>PKI related symbols like Public Key, Privte Key , encryption process, MD5
>>etc.

I used tgif in the past and was satisfied. It is under continuous
development and I understand it now has some form of support for
templates.

>>What do you guys use for creating the drawings?
>>

> Since there are people who read the doc in plain text, I use ascii art.
> This also doesn't take up much bandwidth.  It displays also in HTML
> since it is enclosed in <pre> tags.

I second this.

As mentioned elsewhere you can use AA-lib and you can tune the
result quite a bit. There is an ascii art newsgroup with a FAQ
that is informative. If your drawing is complex you could try
asking for help there in refining your drawing.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen