discuss: KWiki

Subject: Re: KWiki
From: Tabatha Marshall ####@####.####
Date: 18 Sep 2003 18:24:22 -0000

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 18:02, Chris Karakas wrote:
> - Wikis either have a copyright by a list of owners, or no copyright at all.
> - A TLDP HOWTO is under the FDL.
> - If a Wiki uses a TLDP HOWTO then...

I just wanted to mention that not all TLDP HOWTOs use the GFDL, but it
sounds like this is, so far, the license you're interested in.

> - ...if the Wiki can track the conributors, then we have a complete list of
> copyright owners, the Wiki is a derivative work of the HOWTO original, thus the
> contributors have to set their contributions under the FDL too.
>
> - ...if the Wiki cannot track the contributors, then there is no copyright on the
> contributions and the contributions are under the public domain. Then we have a
> derivative work that is made of a copyrighted FDL part (the HOWTO) and a public
> domain part. In which case the whole Wiki should be set under the FDL.

If the document was GFDL and included a section listing ALL the
contributors, I'd think that would suffice.  Maybe you could make a
section specifically for that and ask that all the contributors add
their name and contribution to the list.  This way the document goes
into the public domain retaining the copyrights of all the
contributors.  Would it be very difficult for you to do something like
that?

I don't know if it's the correct approach/solution, but it is the most
efficient way I can think of to make sure everyone gets mentioned.
Maybe make that a rule of contributing on the doc - the contributor
needs to add their name to the list in whatever section is designated
for that purpose.

Hopefully this gives you an option, if nothing else!

Tab

--
Tabatha Marshall
Web: www.merlinmonroe.com